If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Sunday, July 22, 2012

What does Sanguine mean?

I was talking on the phone with my friend Elly about Sanguine, and I confessed to her that I changed the spelling of my main character's name solely because my spell checker didn't like the way that I was spelling it. I said:
Sanguin really is the french word for blood. So is Sang. But in english, Sanguine (spelled with an e) means something else. How to explain... it means something like catty.
She laughed, lol!

So, I decided to look up what it literally means, and I have to laugh!
According to Merriam Webster, Sanguine means bloody, murderous, confident, optimistic reddish, and also cheerful.
Dictionary.com goes on and on about how Sanguine means cheerful, enthusiastic, lively, etc.

Neither specifically mention catty, but I totally understand why I used that word, it beautifully describes someone who is cheerful, confident AND murderous, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose