If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Sunday, May 1, 2011

I Feel Sheepish!

I decided to write my previous blog post specifically BECAUSE I wanted to share a quote by one of my all time favorite authors, Joel Salatin, from his newest book: Sheer Ecstasy of Being a Lunatic Farmer, The (FYI, anyone who wants to send me a present just for the hell of it can totally send me this book! I'll even trade card reading for this book OR his previous book: Everything I Want To Do Is Illegal: War Stories From the Local Food Front,or you know what? Pretty much any book by him will cause me too float on up to cloud nine!) 

Anyway, on one of my foodie email forums - where I go to when I want to chat about food, or learn true horror stories about current events in relation to food - the list owner posted this quote from the book I mentioned. It refers to when Joel's state Governor visited his farm. Monsanto is one of - and arguably the most evil - of the top 5 food corporations in the world... Corporations that control 95% of the food on the market.

"After the whirlwind farm tour, he realized just how different this farm was from
the ones he normally visited. He wondered how our farm held up, how we
interacted, in such a hostile farming environment.

Here is my answer: 'Governor Kaine, Monsanto doesn't scare me at all. And even
though the Virginia Poultry Federation considers me a bio-terrorist because my
chickens commingle with Red-Winged Blackbirds who supposedly take my diseases to
the science-based environmentally-controlled Tyson chicken houses and threaten
the world's food supply, they don't scare me. But they do dislike, even hate me.
If what I do became normal once again, it would completely invert the power,
prestige, and profits of the current food economy, from producer to retailer.

'But they can't come after me with guns. All they can do is argue with me. And
they know it. So they will use you, sir, to move their agenda forward. They will
stroke you with wine and cheese dinners. They will give you money. They will
give you honor and plaques and recognition. They will use you to terrorize me.
Because you, sir, can send people with guns.

'At the end of the day, governor, you are the thin veil of protection between
the industrial food agenda and me. You stand between me and annihilation. You
and every other elected official must understand that your responsibility, your
ministry, your number one job, is to defend righteousness against an evil
agenda.'" (pg. 115)

I LOVE IT! And people think I speak Greek when it comes to food, lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose