If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Bavarian Cream or Vanilla Custard

A while back, I made Lemon Curd, and that was SOOOO yummy! One of my favorite things of all time is Bavarian Cream, which I'm sure has a ton of crap in it when bought from the grocery story bakery. Every time I eat a Bavarian Cream filled pastry (which isn't all that often, perhaps once a month, but it's still my biggest NO NO!), I think to myself that I should just learn how to make it myself.

Tonight, I decided that I was in the mood to try it, and had plenty of eggs, so why not? It turned out to be simple :-) I used the Lemon Curd recipe, but substituted cream for the Lemon juice, Maple syrup for the honey, and then added vanilla.

Into a pot - because I didn't want to dirty a bowl, lol, I tossed 12 egg yolks. The whites went into a frying pan. To the yolks, I added 1 cup of cream, 1/4 cup maple syrup, and a good sized splash of real vanilla. NEVER use the imitation stuff!!!

I used a beater on low to mix the cream and yolks until it melded, but not enough to thicken it. Then I put the pot on the stove on low heat. As it warmed, I took the pan of egg whites, sprinkled it with salt, and set it over medium heat with a cover over it. (This later became a thick omelet.)

Grabbing a spatula, I started stirring. This process SHOULD take forever, stirring until it thickens, but I don't have enough patience to wait for it to thicken on low, SO I turned up the heat to close to medium. (Note: my stove is gas, I'm sure the temps would be different on an electric range.)

NOT surprisingly, my custard started to curdle, lol! The little bit of egg white that got into the mix solidified and left some weird strings in my custard, but it still tasted wonderful! Almost exactly like the store bought stuff - only warm and lumpy without the chemicals, lol!

I know I could have probably found a recipe for this, but I like trying out things without a recipe, so if you're reading this thinking: But this is a recipe out of my grandma's book; don't worry, I'm not trying to say I am the first person who ever came up with this, lol!

Anyway, give it a try and tell me what you think :-D
Thanks for reading and have a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose