If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Lo Mein

For a couple of nights, I have thought about making a veggie and noodle dish for dinner. I have procrastinated most because Hubby was wonderful enough to cook dinner the last 2 or 3 nights. Tonight, he was out doing laundry at the laundromat - yes, I know I am incredibly blessed that my Hubby helps around the house! Anyway, I decided that since we have pretty much nothing in the fridge, a couple of bags of frozen organic veggies and a package of organic spaghetti noodles would make an excellent meal.

I Started by grabbing a pot and cooking up the noodles. As they boiled, I emptied the bags of veggies into a colander and rinsed them with hot water to thaw them. This was solely to speed up the cooking time, but also I didn't think that frozen veggies tossed into a hot pan full of grease would be the best idea, heh heh.

After the veggies were ready, I scooped up a couple dollops of tallow that I had previously rendered into my trusty cast iron pan. I set the heat to medium high, and checked on my noodles. They were al dente, so I turned the heat off.

Once the pan was ready, I tossed my veggie mix in it. This was comprised of broccoli, cauliflower, corn, and green beans. I seasoned this mix with shoyu - which is authentically brewed and unpasteurized Japanese soy sauce. I stirred the contents of the pan, decided that there was enough "sauce" (which at was created by mixing the tallow, shoyu, and a bit of water/juice from the veggies), and then tossed what I judged to be an equal amount of noodles to the veggies.

I was frying this on fairly high heat, and so it didn't take too long for it to meld and be ready to eat. The key is in the concept of stir fry. So long as I kept stirring as it fried, nothing burned, and it turned out beautifully! I just now remembered to take a picture, and we have already finished eating so this is the leftovers. If you try it, let me know how it turns out :-D

Please disregard the sauce I sloshed all over my stove!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose