If you like what you read, consider donating to help me support my family.

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Brownies

Gryffin has been begging me for days to make a chocolate cake or cookies or ice cream or something! So, I finally decided to give in. I looked through a book called Cooking with Coconut by Bruce Fife, and found a brownie recipe. They turned out pretty good. My boys certainly loved them, lol! As for me, they tasted good, and had a great texture, but something about them just didn't seem right. I think it's that I'm not really a fan of chocolate.

Gasp! I know! I talk about chocolate a lot, and crave it at least once a month, but I have never really liked it. Though I must admit that ever since I discovered organic dark chocolate made withOUT High Fructose Corn Syrup, WITH real organic evaporated cane juice... AHHHHHH, sigh! Heaven... I can certainly understand why other women find chocolate so addicting, and why they'll spend small fortunes on it :-D

Well, here's the Recipe I used.
Brownies

1/3 cup butter or coconut oil - I used butter
1/2 cup cocoa powder - I recommend Rapunzel Organic cocoa powder
6 eggs
1 cup sugar - I used 1/2 cup sucanat (sugar cane natural) and 1/4 cup maple syrup for a total of 3/4 cup.
1/2 Tsp Salt - I used Redmond's RealSalt, and I didn't measure, so I may have had a bit more, lol
1/2 Tsp Vanilla - I did measure this, but still added a tiny bit more just for the hell of it :-)
1/2 cup Coconut Flour
1 cup optional chopped nuts of your choice.

Heat the butter, mix in the cocoa until it becomes a sauce, and then let cool. (If you were to add the sugar at this point, you'd have fudge!) In a bowl, mix eggs, sugar, salt, and vanilla. At this point, I'd only added the 1/2 cup of sucanat because I wanted to get the whole mix together, and then add more sugar as necessary. To me, anything that calls for a whole cup of sugar is asking for WAY too much!
Stir in the cocoa/butter mix, and then add the coconut flour; whisking, stirring, or beating until there are no lumps. I used my mixers, lol! It was at this point that I tasted the batter and decided that a bit more sugar wouldn't hurt, and then added the 1/4 cup maple syrup. Add nuts if your going to, I didn't have any. Pour into brownie pan, and then bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes. I used my toaster oven, so I had to set the temp to 425 to equal a real oven's 350, lol!

Again, the verdict from my boys is YUMMY! We each ate two pieces right away, another piece for a before bedtime snack, and then finished it off this morning with breakfast, lol!The best part is that I have enough ingredients to make another batch later on in the week so that my hubby can have some when he get home for the weekend :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome and encourage everyone to comment... except spammers and bots. So, I am sorry that I have to require moderation, but I've now officially got 10 times more comments from spammers than real people. Thank you for your comment and have a happy day :-)

Charts and Readings

Choose